The Lutheran Frauenkirche was destroyed during the four bombing raids on Dresden’s city center in 1945. It was still in ruins as of 1991. It took an international campaign and seven years before it was consecrated in 2005.
Dresden was once called the Florence of the Elbe. Reconstruction of the Zwinger Palace and museums continues.
We ended a ten-day bike ride here and were inspired by this elegant Baroque church and statue of Martin Luther. We are reminded that healing from WWII is slow.